THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

EAST NORWOOD
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad

by John Hinson

Interior of East Norwood tower
Photograph 16/9/1927, from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

A view of the interior of East Norwood tower, in the suburbs of Cincinnati, showing the GRS all-electric "interlocking machine" installed in 1904. The large circular indicators above the machine indicate track circuits and signals.

This tower controlled the flat crossing of two double lines - the Baltimore & Ohio and the Cincinnati, Lebanon and Northern. The latter was one of a number of American Railroad holding companies which did not itself operate a single train. Ownership of this company appears complex, but in simple terms it appears to have been the Pennsylvania RR in one of its corporate disguises.

Additional notes by Michiel Rademakers

About the photographs


Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson