THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

QUEEN'S QUAY
Belfast & County Down Railway

by John Hinson

Belfast Yard signal cabin
Photograph by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour 8/65

This imposing signal cabin controlled the Queens Quay terminus in Belfast of the Belfast & County Down Railway. The box was erected in 1910 and was provided with a 110-lever frame. However, traffic reductions later led to massive rationalisation of the layout. Soon after this 1965 photograph, the box was closed and replaced by something a little smaller.

The nameboard on the box simply proclaims "Belfast" in large letters. The block section from this terminus was to Ballymacarrett Junction.

Signal at Belfast Yard
Photograph 23/6/60
from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

This delightful double-armed somersault signal once graced Queen's Quay station. Interestingly, although apparently reading from a station platform, the arms are of miniature size as would normally read from a siding. However, the next signal ahead (which can just be picked out in the background) is a full-sized arm.

The weight bars for the signals have been placed high on the post to ensure they are well clear of any passengers that may stray down the platform ramp.

About the photographs



Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson