THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
MIDLAND & GREAT NORTHERN JOINT RAILWAY

The Midland & Great Northern Joint had been formed in 1893 by a merger of the Midlands & Eastern Railway and the Eastern & Midlands Railway. The M&E was already managed jointly by the Midland and the Great Northern Railways, and the new entity was to continue this way.

In the late 1880s, the M&E had been provided with Midland Railway signal boxes between Peterborough and Kings Lynn, and Great Northern boxes on the Bourne line. East of Kings Lynn, signal boxes were erected by Saxby & Farmer but little is known about these as they were all replaced at an early date.

After the formation of the M&GN, new boxes were built to a design based on Great Northern practice. These were fitted with frames of both Great Northern and Midland types, some of which may have been re-used from earlier boxes.

With the general closure of the M&GN network in 1959, few signal boxes have survived. One outpost survived in use until 2000, but all that can be seen now is the odd cabin that has somehow escaped demolition for over forty years.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Massingham

The Midland Railway had fully signalled the line between Peterborough and Sutton Bridge by 1889. However, this Midland cabin is on the former Eastern & Midland Railway's section, and was supplied second-hand around 1920. Interestingly, the wooden top portion is mounted on a stonework base.

Visit the box

Langor Bridge

Signal boxes conforming to Great Northern practice were provided between Bourne and Lynn when that line was fully signalled in 1891. After 1893, all boxes on the M&GN were built to their own design - clearly derived from GN practice as can be seen here. Features that identify this model are vertical timbering and a large window area extending to the eaves.

Visit the box

Cromer YardPage includes close-up views if signalling instruments and equipment

From 1916 the M&GN made good use of concrete for building work, and produced a new hipped-roof design using concrete blocks for the structure. This is the only example of this type that was built.

By virtue of its joint ownership, the Midland & Great Northern survived the grouping, becoming joint property of the LMS and LNER. Signalling of the M&GN was handed over to the LNER in 1936 but no further new boxes had cause to be built. Ownership of the M&GN passed to the Eastern Region of British Railways in 1948.